What content is available in Bloomsbury Philosophy Library?
Bloomsbury Philosophy Library is a growing digital hub that provides access to primary texts in translation, secondary literature, exclusive articles, and encyclopedia entries. The site holds different collections, each of which is available for
individual purchase, via subscription or perpetual access. On launch there will be three collections:
- Bloomsbury 20th-Century French Thought brings together 26 primary texts of late 20th century French philosophy, covering thinkers such as Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Jacques Rancière, Luce Irigaray, and Alain Badiou. The primary materials are complemented by 125+ works of secondary literature. The secondary literature covers core theoretical schools, from existentialism and phenomenology to postmodernism. Exclusive articles that challenge and engage canonical texts and thinkers will be added each year. Find out more.
- Bloomsbury History of Modern Aesthetics features more than 20 hard-to-find texts by eighteenth, nineteenth and early-twentieth century intellectuals and philosophers, such as Alexander Baumgarten, R. G. Collingwood, Friedrich Schiller, Uvedale Price and Anna Jameson. The materials are supported by new introductions and secondary literature. The resource provides a varied and fascinating range of ideas about art, nature and taste, exploring the development of aesthetic theories during the modern period. Find out more.
- Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers brings together over 6,500 articles on those individuals who have made a contribution to the history of thought and philosophy. Each entry covers the life, work and reception of a figure. Contextual understanding is offered by an interactive timeline illustrating relationships with notable events in politics, society, the arts and science. Find out more.
A fourth collection, Bloomsbury Contemporary Aesthetics, will be added to the site in 2022.
Is the content included in Bloomsbury Philosophy Library available online anywhere else?
- Although the translated primary texts in Bloomsbury 20th-Century French Thought are also available to purchase in print and e-copy individually, they are available together on the resource for the first time (they are not available through Bloomsbury Collections). The articles included on the resource have been commissioned specifically to support these materials and are not available anywhere else.
- Although some of the primary sources in Bloomsbury History of Modern Aesthetics are available elsewhere as digital facsimiles, they are reproduced here for the first time as fully searchable, full-text HTML. These texts also appear alongside specially commissioned illustrated commentary articles. These are authored by leading academics and provide contextual background to the work, pulling
out the main themes and connecting them with contemporary debates.
- A limited number of dictionaries on Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers have been available through Oxford Reference Online. These include The Biographical Dictionary of American Economists, The Biographical Encyclopedia of Islamic Philosophy, The Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers, and The Biographical Dictionary of British Economists. All entries in the Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers are fully-indexed exclusively for the resource and can be cross-searched with other related content on the site.
Will the resource be updated?
- The first update for Bloomsbury 20th-Century French Thought and Bloomsbury History of Modern Aesthetics is planned for Early 2022. This update will conclude the launch content set.
- Bloomsbury 20th-Century French Thought and Bloomsbury History of Modern Aesthetics will be updated with new exclusive articles about every six months. Primary texts in translation from Bloomsbury’s catalogue will be added to French Thought by the first update.
- There are no plans to update Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers with content beyond 2021.
Who is the resource for?
Bloomsbury Philosophy Library is an invaluable resource for students, scholars and researchers studying philosophy. The materials covered are also highly relevant to related disciplines such as literary studies, cultural studies, gender studies, and the history and philosophy of science. In addition, Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers will also be relevant to those studying history, theology, religious studies and the history of economics.